Monday, February 7, 2011

Blog #3

A Vision of Students Today

I believe that this video was very true in showing what it is like as a college student today.
I really enjoyed watching this video. It really encouraged me to become a better student. I could relate to many of the statements what were being proclaimed. This video really gave a clear picture of what it is like being a student today. In my opinion college prepares you for many things, but it does not prepare you to be successful in the working world. A college education should give you many things including a worldview of your designated field .

I believe that the education system should give you some, if not all the skills that are needed to become a bright individual. I could relate too many of the statements that were in the video, including the one about purchasing multiple books without attempting to read them. Some teachers require you to use the books and others do not. Over the past two years of college I have learned that many students grasp the minimum amount to education needed to pass classes. Classroom sizes should be reduced and an emphasis should be placed on the future and the problems that occur in the world today.

It’s Not about the Technology

Kelly Himes really touched on many different viewpoints concerning technology in the classroom. I really enjoyed reading her viewpoint and I can agree with a lot that she stated. I agree with her stance concerning teacher becoming life- long learners. I really agree with her belief about the difference between teaching and learning. It is a very true statement.

Teachers should be able to use their brain power to captivate students and encourage them to want to learn more. But a teacher must also become a lifelong learner and be willing to explore and learn more each day. This was an eye opening blog post. It allowed me to not only think twice about technology, but also about the way I plan to teach one day in my classroom. But most of all I learned that it before anyone can teach they must become a wise student!

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

It is so important to be technologically literate in today’s society. Many people believe that it is okay not to be able to read a text message, use a computer, or even work a CD player. From past experience I can say that yes, it is scary at first sight. But the end result is beautiful.

Many people are afraid of failure. So instead of branching out to learn something new, they choose to stay in the stone ages living in caves. As a future parent and teacher I think that technology literacy should be taught to every individual that has a desire to learn. This is important not only for this generation but also important to the children of tomorrow. Should a teacher be technologically illiterate? No, it should be mandatory that some type of test be created that could show the level of achievement before teaching.

2 comments:

  1. I do feel the same on the "Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher". I think that in the world we live in today you have to have some technological know how unless you are living in a cave in the stone age. On a "A Vision of Students Today" video, i feel if your paying for a college education, which is not cheap, than you should make an attempt to go to class. Although you do see students that never make class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to proofread your writing and work on your sentence construction. For example you write: "Over the past two years of college I have learned that many students grasp the minimum amount to education needed to pass classes. " It is not clear to me what you intend to convey with this sentence. This applies to other aspects of your writing as well.

    Now to the substance of your argument: you have discussed the video from a student's point of view. What does it say about the teaching approaches that are currently in use in colleges?

    What about those who do not desire to learn? Especially if they are teachers? What do we do with them?

    What about Gary Hayes' Social Media Counter?

    ReplyDelete